web analytics

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Simply Daffodil


It certainly is Daffodil time of the year. There are many points of interest with beautiful spreads of daffodils in our little community.

Last year about this time when I was arranging some flowers for an arrangement for Sundays Church Alter I realized how similar my result was to Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arrangement.


Even though I was doing it Sunday morning before church, I recall that I felt so calm and centered while enjoying the process. The daffodils were from my garden as well as the Magnolia Stellata which I went looking for in the garden in the morning. And, the large granite flower base really grounds the delicate florals.


My garden is not blooming as years prior. The Magnolia is about 10 feet tall but has had very few blossoms this year. Can you imagine what it would look like if it was in full bloom. I know fertilizer may be an issue but also changing weather conditions.

"Ikebana is much more than mere floral decoration."

A little more about Ikebana, according to Ikebana International. "Ikebana is the Japanese art of flower arrangement. It is more than simply putting flowers in a container. It is a disciplined art form in which the arrangement is a living thing where nature and humanity are brought together. It is steeped in the philosophy of developing a closeness with nature."

"In principle, Ikebana aims not at bringing a finite piece of nature into the house, but rather at suggesting the whole of nature, by creating a link between the indoors and the outdoors. Ikebana is creative expression within certain rules of construction. Its materials are living branches, leaves, grasses, and blossoms. Its heart is the beauty resulting from color combinations, natural shapes, graceful lines, and meaning latent in the total form of the arrangement."

We had a wonderful rain storm last night. We are in serious need of rain here in California. Rain is a blessing!

Come back again. I like your visits.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mary,
    I like to read your news on your blog.I stay angry with your wonderfull pictures.(It is night-I will go to sleep)-mňam-your meal
    Love Eva
    This is from my friend in Czech Republic who has followed my blog for years. She reads English but does not speak the language. I always enjoy her notes and she is a very faithful follower. Sometimes she mixes up her adjectives but I love hearing from her.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014