web analytics

Saturday, September 26, 2009

My 70th Birthday

                                      
I can hardly believe it!!!!!!!!!!



I took this photo of myself about three months ago. It has been a long time since I have used the timer on my camera. The whole process was amazingly easy and fast. I also used a tripod which certainly helps a lot. It was on a Sunday and I had just returned from church and I thought it would be a good time to take a photo. The day I took the photo would have been my 50th wedding anniversary if I had stayed married! More on that another time, maybe. I am one of those people that never seems to take a photo that I am happy with, but this time it was different!  I like it!  And, guess what? That is my natural color hair. I am  just starting to get a little grey. I can't take any credit, it's genetic!


I am thrilled to say that I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life and I think the photo shows it. Considering the journey I have been on, I am so very grateful for this feeling of wholeness that I am finally experiencing at this time of my life.





Yep, it was 70 years ago today that I came into this world with a little partner, named John. Twins were not as common as they are today. This was long before fertility treatment was available. We had a brother four years old and another brother eight years old. So, my mother certainly had her hands full! Because my parents came to California driving a Model T Ford from Minnesota on their honeymoon (it took six weeks!) we did not have relatives to help during this labor intensive time period.





                                                              



                                                   Aren't we cute?


      
I remember my early childhood being happy. However, one BIG thing that was lacking is that I did not have any relatives close enough to spend time with. I never met my grandparents. I recall wanting to be a different ethnic background because some others were characteristic of having big families around. Those were the thoughts of a little girl, anyway. I also wanted a sister. What little girl didn't want a sister especially if she had three brothers!




Each one of us on this earth has a different background. And what we have is our own perceptions of what our experiences were. I had to go to parochial school and after fifth grade, I recall becoming very unhappy with the extremely strick parental controls and the isolation from main stream kids. Following high school graduation (during which time I took all the college-prep classes like latin, chemistry, as well as secretarial classes) I moved out of the family home and supported myself and became a Registered Nurse at age 19. That was a lot of very hard work. But, I guess that was just the prelude to what my life was going to be about. There have been many, many challenges of all sorts in my life.  I have a very strong work ethic and that probably has played a part in who I am today. I guess I am a true survivor in the real sense of the word. Nineteen was a very young age to be a Registered Nurse and have such a large amount of responsibility often including "life and death" matters. I have been told that I was a very good nurse but I think it would have been very beneficial to have more life experiences before having that type of responsibility_ _ _ _ _ _ To be continued.


I just returned home a short time ago from my vacation to Carmel. I had a fabulous time!  And, Lily was a real angel dog!  I even stayed a day longer than I had planned. There will be a lot about my trip  including photos in the days to come. 




This photo is of Lily having afternoon tea with me at Cypress Inn (owned by Doris Day). What a good dog she was!


I am soo very tired. It was a long drive home. But it is such a nice tired.

Hope you are having a good weekend!

~Mary~

2 comments:

  1. Happy Very Belated Birthday...I have had a nice visit at your blog and I just read this. A nice story and you are a twin too...and you have other brothers also.
    Are you all close...get along...do you live close enough to see each other frequently...

    You did a great job getting yourself in the picture using a timer. I have never tried that. This is a lovely picture and you do indeed look very happy...

    come by and visit again..
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Judi. I will reply by email. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014