web analytics

Monday, February 10, 2014

Rainy Day Cooking

Oh happy day! A Happy Dance is certainly in order during this terrible drought season in the middle of February here in California. After many many long days with no sight of rain we are very happy to have three small weather systems which have watered our gardens and hopefully will help with our water storage for the coming months. 
The crock pot and the soup pot are cooking. And, I am having a grand time. During the past year I have been doing quite a lot of cooking and baking in an effort to eat wisely and bring what I consider normalcy to life instead of eating in restaurants. I prefer home cooked food, especially now that we have access to some of the finest ingredients and a large variety of nutritious fruits and vegetables.

My  little town has a wonderful store within walking distance of my home that sells only organic fruits and vegetables along with other things you would find in such a store. And they also have a little restaurant that serves delicious and healthy food.
 
 
Let's Cook! How about Easy Crock pot Potato Soup?

My crock pot is started with chopped onion and celery.  
 
 

And, cream of celery soup and chicken broth which I prepared with Better Than Bouillon organic reduced sodium chicken base.
 


  
I really like this product a lot better than buying canned stock! But, I did have one can of stock in the cupboard that I needed to use.


Add salt and pepper along with the hash brown potatoes and stir.


 
Turn the crock pot on low for 5 to 6 hours.

This is my first try with this recipe. I saw it on a blog which I can not give reference to because I do not have the name. Sorry.
 
 
I will top the soup bowls with cheese, bacon or green onions. Or maybe all of the toppings!

 

In the future, when I feel a little more organized, I will certainly prepare some No Knead Bread the day ahead and bake it in the morning so it can be served with the soup.  
 
I will write more about the bread in another post in case you haven't heard about it. However, I would be surprised if there is anyone who has not heard about it. The ease of making it has made it very popular. Besides, it is VERY Good.
 
Also, I will tell you about the soup in the soup pot - Hearty Mexican Chicken Soup. And, is it ever good!

Posting blogs is a lot more difficult for me since blogging last year. It seems like a lot of changes have been made with Blogger. I think I have a lot to learn so that I can complete a post in a more time efficient manner.  It feels like this took forever to post. And, I am not to happy with the way it turned out.

Take good care of yourself.

Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014