web analytics

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Family Traditions

Family traditions have been near nonexistent in my family for many reasons which I see no reason to ponder at this time. However, this past year I have been able to do something that has brought great joy to me and my Granddaughter and husband to be.
 
One of the few things that I received following my mother's passing in 1990 was her wedding rings which included her original set which she wore on her wedding day in 1928 and an additional ring with a larger center diamond which was given to her by my father on their 25th wedding anniversary.
 
 
These are not super large diamonds like many that we see today but they are quite lovely nonetheless.
 
 
 
Well, when I learned that my Granddaughter and boyfriend were hoping to marry, I talked with her boyfriend about my thoughts regarding the rings and that I would like to offer them to him to give to her in any manner he so desired. Meaning that he/they could have them reset and do what would please them. He was thrilled with the idea. But, did not want to change anything about them.

Oh, I guess it is time to say that the first time I met him, it was Instant Like! And, a nice bonus is that neither of them have previous marriages or children. Which is nice in my opinion, since it can be challenging enough to have a happy marriage without additional issues.  He is 28 and she is 21 which is great given their individual life  experiences and personalities.  He has a four year college degree and she has finished her first two years and is returning in August to finish.

So, anyway, on the day of their son's birth, I took the rings with me. And, it worked out just perfect when upon our arrival he took us for a quick coffee while she was in labor. He was so pleased when he saw the rings.

And, he asked my Granddaughter post haste to marry him! But, he wanted it to be special so he took her to San Francisco within the week for the special event. He proposed to her on the beach of San Francisco Bay. She was surprised and loved the story about the history of the rings. She is wearing the anniversary ring and perhaps in the future they will redesign a ring with the diamonds from the original matching rings. I like that idea!

 
Of course, Baby Carter was there to witness the event. He was so tiny, he looks like a doll.

 
The happy family. All of us are very blessed.

Mary
 

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014