web analytics

Saturday, February 22, 2014

How Much More Must I Learn About Automobiles

I really love my car. So much fun. But, the ol' girl is starting to show her age even with only 62,XXX miles. But, truly she has not required anything super major. Birth date 1998. Oh my, where did the years go?


O.K. now. The battery was replaced last week. And, yes, I got my monies worth with the nine year old battery that was removed. However, it would have been nice if my annoyances with dead batteries in the past year could have been eliminated if someone would not have continued to put a charger on it instead of replacing the battery. No money issue, just poor judgment.

That said. My battery is again dead! After, the new battery was installed I did a little driving locally and then I did not drive the car for a few days.

Time to put my "thinking cap on". For some reason there is some kind of a drain on the battery causing it to die. Recalling events prior to the battery replacement, I remember stopping at an auto mechanic on the rainy Friday afternoon, after being jump started by AAA. Unable to assist me at the time, he kindly asked a few questions and then decided to remove a fuse that provides current to the radio. I was able to quickly complete my overdue errands by leaving the engine running and locking my doors. Yes, I have a second set of keys! Maybe, not such a good idea, but you do what you gotta do, right.

Well, I imagine the mechanic assumed that I would be returning to him for the car to be serviced at a later date but in the near future. At that time the fuse would most likely be replaced. Not the case. I took it to a different mechanic for the battery replacement within walking distance of my house with nary a thought of the fuse removal days prior. The new battery was installed and I went on my merry way.

Studying the car manual and also going onto the Internet was in order which lead me to replace the fuse, yes I put it in the correct way and place.

Oh dear, I think that comment came from being questioned about almost everything I did in the past four years. Sorry, just a little FYI. Really, I am healing but it takes time.

The following morning I called AAA again for a jump start. Now, all is well and I was able to drive several miles for an out-of-town errand without any difficulty with turning the engine off and starting it again. I believe we have success! Do I get a gold star?

Do you realize how much time, more aggravation and money I saved by thinking it through and taking care of it myself? I am a proud little chick!


Don't misunderstand me, I would much prefer to not be bothered with looking after my car but life is what it is. And, I have always been a survivor. I may fall down but I always manage to eventually get up again and get goin'!

Mary
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014