web analytics

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What's Happening With My Hard Wiring

Well, not mine, but in the kitchen. After further examination, the burning of the hard wiring in the under cabinet light fixture was caused by the use of  inadequate size of wire nuts. This is the forth wiring that has burned in my house since I had some remodel work done about five years ago. First, it was the front porch light. Second, it was the small bathroom light switches and Thirdly, the main bathroom over sink light fixture! The licensed contractor has been called "a crook" by several contractors that I have met since the work was done on my house. It is really sad when someone does such shabby work.  I am sure glad that I did not have major work done by him because almost all of the work he performed has issues. There is a lot to the saying, "Measure twice, cut once".



The wires burned because the wire nuts that were used should have been the larger red ones for four 12-gauge wires and not the yellow ones for three 12-gauge wires.  And, because of the wires burning, they are to short to be fastened securely with wire nuts. Additional splicing would be too bulky for the limited space. I was fortunate to find a replacement fixture that is the exact model as the one that burned for only $10.   I have ordered a the new fixture, it should arrive tomorrow. I am quite confident I will be able to hard wire the fixture without difficulty. I am trying to avoid calling this happy little man.

But, fear not. If it is necessary, I will call him.

I have some very good "Do-It-Yourself" books and there are many handyman (or handywomen) websites to learn everything you ever needed to know about under cabinet light fixture installation. It really only takes a basic understanding of electrical wiring. The extent of my electrical tools could be better and I may need to buy a new wire stripper.

It is somewhat amazing to me how much I miss the light and plug in the kitchen next to the sink. I guess that is the spot where I do most of the food prep and of course the making of the ever important coffee making!


When this project is finished, please celebrate with me over a cup of pretty coffee. Maybe, we will add a little Baileys Irish Cream!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014