web analytics

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I Love To Travel - I Am Going To Travel

To Germany with My Special Man.


My passport has been renewed and I am getting ready!

I am so excited about our trip in June for two weeks. We will be flying into Frankfurt (financial center and transportation hub) and then take a train to Berlin (the capitol) to visit for three days before taking another train to Munich (known as the city of "laptops and lederhosen")  for a couple days.  FYI - lederhosen means leather pants!  Then, we will be driving along the Bavarian Alps to Garmisch where among other things we will be attending The Passion Play in Oberamergau.. For years, I have heard about The Passion Play, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that one day I would be going to see it. 



According to the Passion-Play.com website - - - Things were going well for Oberammergau in the early 1630’s. The small town was respected for their high quality wood carvings. On a successful sales trip through other parts of Germany, Austria and Switzerland, a woodcarver returned to the tiny hamlet in the Ammergau Alps with the plague. Within a year, a quarter of the population of Oberammergau had died. Not a single household escaped the suffering and loss.

In a desperate plea to God, the town vowed to perform a Passion Play every ten years if God would spare them from the plague. The play was first performed in 1634 on a stage they put up in the cemetery above the fresh graves of the plague victims The death rate, which had been as high as 20 adults a month, dropped to one a month. The villagers believed they were spared. The performance was first known as the "Play of the Suffering, Death and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ"

God did appear to protect the village of Oberammergau and the Passion Play theater production began. Nearly four centuries later, the 41st production of the play will be held from the middle of May to the beginning of October, 2010.

After a few days, we will travel by auto to Friedrichshafen (which played a central role in Germany's aeronautics tradition) to enjoy more new experiences and then drive to Frankfurt for a few days before departing for home.

Our itinerary includes many wonderful places that we will be visiting. And, we will be doing some exploring on our own.  Since My Special Man has traveled to Germany many times during his professional employment years he has been able to plan the trip day by day.

My mother's heritage is German and I have my genealogy that goes back to the early 1800's. It has been fun for us to review my German heritage. 

My Special Man is of German heritage and he is first generation American.  We do not have very much information regarding his genealogy. However, we will be visiting some folks in Berlin that have contacted him in the past regarding the genealogy.

To say that I am EXCITED about our trip would be a gross understatement!

I hope your day is going very well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014