web analytics

Monday, August 24, 2009

White Mosaic and Britain



Just a click will enlarge the photo.
You know how much I love my White Garden. The photos in the mosaic photo above are from my White Garden at different times of the year. It won't be long until the Sweet Autumn Clematis which is very vigorous will be blooming. I pruned it quite severely last year because there was a lot of tangling of the stems and buildup of dead thatch on the inner parts of the vine. And, it was covering about twenty feet of the fence. The clematis is the backdrop for the other white plantings and it looks so good with the shiny green leaves throughout most of the year. The fencing at right angles to the white garden is covered with fragrant Star Jasmin which joins up with the clematis at the corner of my garden. With the profusion of flowers from the Star Jasmin followed by the Clematis in late summer, it is quite lovely. Some of the white flowers in the garden are almost luminous in the early evening. Also, some of them open more widely in the late day.

I don't know what it is about a White Garden that intrigues me so much. I guess one reason could be that in the past I have read a lot about the Sissinghurst Castle Garden in Weald of Kent. This marvelous garden dates back to the 1930's when the condition of the property had become very run down and was bought by Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson. At that time they started restoring the premises and began planting the garden. There was great care and planning and in 1938 it was opened to the public. The garden is actually ten separate gardens which are differentiated by walls and hedges.
Beautiful photos including this one at http://www.invectis.co.uk/sissing/sswhite.htm

White garden, Sissinghurst

One of the ten separate gardens is the White Garden which was originally planted as a Rose Garden in 1931. The Rose Garden had fallen into disarray many years prior to the new owners. However, in 1950 it was replanted and became the world famous White Garden which retained a similar landscape design of the long gone Rose Garden.


Since 1967 the property has been owned and maintained by the National Trust.

Since I enjoy history I am going to share a little more information about the property. According to the writings of Dave Parker, "The site is ancient - its name is Saxon - meaning 'clearing in the woods'. A stone manor surrounded by a moat was built in the Middle Ages. Two legs of the moat survive - a third leg originally ran where the 'Moat Walk' lawn is now. The original building was replaced in the 15th century by a large manor built by the Baker family - related by marriage to the Sackvilles of Knowle. It was let to the Government between 1756 and 1763 as a prison camp for French prisoners-of-war. The prisoners were badly treated - as was the site generally, and much was demolished."

Ten years ago, I had the fabulous opportunity to live in the south-west part of Britain for three months. I lived in a small thatched roof cottage in a tiny village that was composed of a church and a pub, as well as fantastic Manor Houses. The cottage had been updated with modern day conveniences but retained the old world charm. It was a delightful little two story home that was situated directly across from the pub. I visited many gardens while in Britain but I did not see Sissinghurst Castle Garden. However, I did attend the Chelsea Flower Show which was truly delightful!

I also went to Paris for a week during which time I visited Monet's Garden at Giverny. I will post more about Monet's Garden later when I can post some of my photos.


WISHING YOU HAPPY TRAVELS
( In your own garden or gardens of the world!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014