web analytics

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Let Me Hear You Crow


Thanks to Barb, I am participating in my first blog party. Lots of roosters will be coming in their "Best Feathers". So, let's gather 'round and have a good crow!
My fine fellow doesn't know just how lucky he is. You see, he is the last (I think) fine feathered creature left in my home. He proudly rules the kitchen from his perch above the refrigerator.

I have been compelled to downsize due to lack of space and have a little less to take care of. I do not have a lot of decorating around roosters but I have always loved roosters. But, I do have a purple kitchen for him to tend to. I frequently think about the Rooster and Hen that sat on the window sill above my mother's kitchen sink. Many times I have wished that I had those special "kitchen friends".

All of the "party goers" are going to have a lot of fun looking and reading about all of our fellow rooster lover's roosters! How is that for a sentence? ? ? I'm not changing it!


Many, many of us know how easy it is to accumulate "too much stuff". So, last fall, I did a major clean-out. On three different Saturdays, I had a Gi-Normous Yard Sale. It was a Gi-Normous Success.

These photos are from the second Saturday sale. The first Saturday almost cleared the tables! So, then I started all over to fill the tables again. The sale also extended into the garage and patio. I have always taken good care of what I have and many items were in like new condition. There were many things that were at least 50 years old. Things that had been mine and also my mothers.


This was about the time that the recession was becoming a reality. I thought it was very interesting that during the first Saturday, we received several one-hundred dollar bills with request for change. The last Saturday, we were receiving rolls of quarters, dimes and nickels. Recession reality had definitely set in. The last day was almost "A Dollar Store" facsimile. But, even at that I made $300.00 in two hours before it started to rain!


Don't be concerned that I may have sold too many of "my treasures". I think I could have another sale right now if I had the strength and time. Many people were so excited with what they had purchased and I really enjoyed their reaction. It was almost non-stop people the entire time.

At times, it was almost like a big party. The first Saturday we had ice water and the last Saturday we had hot coffee. Some people came back to tell me things like how happy they were with the fabric they bought and they had recovered their dining room chair seats. Another person came back to show me a beautiful lap quilt she made for a "shut-in" with fabric she bought. My heart felt so good! ! !



Since the sale was in the fall the weather was quite unpredictable. There was hot weather and cold weather along with rainy weather. This picture was taken in between the second and third sale. The wind was so strong one evening that it blew the canopies (all three) completely upside-down and into the rose garden. Even though they were fastened together with large spring clips. I heard the noise, went out and all I could say was - - - - - (you fill in the blanks, OK). What a MESS. I guess, I would have to say that I earned every penny that I made!






The tremendous amount of work produced enough funds for payment of my property taxes!!!! It took me weeks to recover from the hard work - - - but the taxes were paid.




THANKS TO BARB FOR HER PARTY


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014