web analytics

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Summer Bounty



Is there anything like home grown tomatoes? I don't think so. My friend shared some of hers with me since my tomato bushes are not producing yet. I planted them late and who knows what is going to happen. But, I do have a little fresh thyme from the garden that I can use with the tomatoes. It doesn't take much when it is fresh. And, it smells so good. And, aren't those the most luscious juicy looking tomatoes you have ever seen?


Just a side note. I have been experimenting with the settings on my camera and these photos are not what I was hoping for. Perhaps, it would be better if I performed this activity at another time when I am not trying to post to the blog!





As you can see, I'm back in the kitchen again. The weather is somewhat cooler today. Even a few degrees can make such a difference. I have always wanted to make a Tomato Tart so that is what I'm doing. Again, something very very simple. I may be back in the kitchen but I don't want to be there very long.


I prefer to use fresh ingredients but today I am going to use what I have handy and in the house. And, of course, the ingredients are very simple. I am using Bisquick, a little melted butter and water for the crust. Then layer sliced tomatoes on the crust. Mix together mayonnaise, shredded cheese (your choice), chopped parsley, chopped green onion, herbs and a little salt and pepper. Spread mixture over the tomatoes and bake. I also added a little more cheese and some Panko bread crumbs over the top. Oh, my goodness, it is so good. Those tomatoes are "out of this world"! Thank you, friend.

Yes, They Had No Tomatoes
As he carries in two hands
from noon's profusion of garden
a tomato ripe this moment,
warm as a lover's whisper
from the pendulous August sun,
breast-heavy promise of a new world,
bruiseless fruit to brood over,
he wonders again how
in the gleaming blue bowl
of the Mediterranean world
the Greeks, Etruscans, Romans
could grow wise, sloe-eyed, mighty
without knowing the tomato.
Other missing treasures
from America he understands
they could do without,
potatoes, chilies, chocolate-
stolidness, urgency, pleasure.
But a day of summer sun,
an age with no tomatoes!
by David Citino from Broken Symmetry




HOPE YOU HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014