web analytics

Friday, October 03, 2014

Little Escape Artist

Who would ever think that this "little darling" would think of becoming a little "Houdini"?


Since September 23, Miss Lily has been ill with an intestinal disorder and has been receiving medications to help her regain regular and normal bowel movements. This is in addition to her receiving medication for heart disease which was diagnosed July 22. (Oh, and on July 4, I tripped and fractured my ankle/leg). Lots of fun!

With all of the activities that go along with caring for a sick dog there are unpleasant events (incontinence of bowel and bladder) that are a constant concern in order to keep the dog and house clean. And, since she usually sleeps on my bed at night time, the cleanliness of my bed linens have become an issue. I have had to do laundry on a daily basis for a few weeks along with carpet spot cleaning. 

So anyway, the beginning of this week I decided it was time to confine Lily in a kennel at night time so I would not have to get up with her so often during the night as well as dealing with dirty-wet bed linens.


For years, Lily has been familiar with her kennel which is soft side canvas and with netting. I jokingly call it "The Cube". She is not particularly fond of being in "The Cube" but has always tolerated it. I have used it in motels when traveling on out of town trips. Look how nicely it folds when transporting it.


So, Sunday night I placed "The Cube" in the hallway outside of my bedroom door that I then closed. She whimpered periodically throughout the night and I only got up one time with her during the night. The next night she was quiet and excited to see me in the morning. Wow, a decent night of sleep for me - huge blessing!

And, then, night before last it was the same drill and off to bed I went. It was about 2:30 AM when I heard a noise at my bedroom door. Much to my surprise, it was Lily clawing at the door trying to get into my bedroom. I was so shocked and confused! What in the world was going on? How did she get out of "The Cube". The front flap was closed with the zipper.

My first thought was to look at her kennel. Again, another surprise. There was a hole that was wet around the edges. That "little darling" had chewed a 5 inch long hole along the seam line on the side and managed to get out of "The Cube". Do you see how high up the hole is? She even chewed through the canvas. It was amazing and shocking.


What to do?  I decided to get my trusty duct tape and tape over the hole. It was somewhat dubious if this would remedy the problem. So, back in "The Cube" she went. Not particularly willingly. And, back to bed I went. Not long after, I heard some noise and decided to check things out. And, look what I found! A little Escape Artist!


Again, what to do? First of all. Help her to get out and hold her and give her lots of love. Her little heart was beating so very fast. I have always said that she is a very tenacious little gal, kinda like her human mom. But, I had no idea she was this determined. Poor little gal. Look at the duct tape over her head!

Now what. Well, I had a sturdier and heavier kennel in the garage, but it was 3 o'clock in the morning. OK, it was quite close to the main garage door but to far from the door into the house. So, I tuned the garage light on and pushed the automatic garage door opener wondering if the neighbors would be calling the authorities with suspicion of burglary!  I moved quickly and carried it around to the front door and into the house. Garage door closed and lights off! 



I placed some cozy soft towels in her "new bed" and snuggled her in for the night. All was well and she was quiet throughout the night. 

This is not a battle of the wits. I was only slightly tempted to take her to my bed but then all my hard work at training her to sleep in her own bed would be for not. I am just trying to bring back some normalcy to this home!

And, Lily says she is doing well and she will try to be good.



That little face melts your heart.

Wishing you Restful Nights Of Sleep.

Mary  


2 comments:

  1. What can be said except little Lily is a scamp! And she loves her "mom". Here's to her getting better soon and returning to normal a normal "potty" routine. I suspect she is as unhappy with the health issues as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,my she is so cute and tenacious! I don't think my dog, Dash, would last very long in a soft sided cube, either. However, at 9 he still sleeps with me and is in good health, thank goodness.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, have a great week. BTW, Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter, she looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014