web analytics

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Special Garden Tool



Well, I got a lot done in the garden. And, I want to tell you about one of my favorite new tools. It is a three pronged cultivator made in Japan. Boy, is it sharp. Just like a cultivator should be. It works great for breaking the soil crust to loosen and aerate the soil. I kid you not, I think I live on a pile of rock and clay. See the rock in the photo? That kind of rock, mixed in with clay is what I have to dig into. I always say that I have rock on rock soil. There are some very large rocks that sometimes win over me and I have to change my mind about where I want to plant something. I call them "non-negotiable rocks". I don't use a pry bar because I have had back surgery. I don't even own a pry bar because I know I should not use it. I can't trust myself with one because when I get frustrated with a big rock, I would probably use the pry bar. And, that would be a bad thing for me to do. It is typical for me to have a two-gallon bucket full of rock when I did a hole to plant a one-gallon plant. I am not "Mrs. GotRocks", but I sure got rocks!


I really do love the rock but it would be nice if there weren't quite so many. Planting the garden has been quite difficult because I have not been able to bring in several layers of top-soil. I think the plants would grow more robust if they had a better foundation to grow in. However, I do fertilize somewhat regularly and I know that helps.




The is a very nice rock wall that is right outside my front door on the outer aspect of a patio.
Just a click and the photos will enlarge.





This is one of my little garden helpers! Can you see him/her?





This is Red Tip Photinia when it gets new foliage each summer. It is bright coppery-red. The top
of the wall is a different soil height from the patio. And, it gives nice privacy for the patio.




If you are a gardener - - HAPPY digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014