web analytics

Monday, June 22, 2009

Along Came A Spider

I had such a HUGE surprise in the garden when I was watering this past week. It was the first time that I have ever seen a Black Widow Spider. I could hardly believe my eyes! But, there was no mistaking that it was a black widow spider. His body was quite large and very shiny. And, as he tried to scamper away, I could see the red on the belly.






This sighting made me think of the Little Miss Muffet rhyme.

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey,
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffett away


This is one of many stories about the Little Miss Muffet rhyme:

"Little Miss Muffet was a small girl whose name was Patience Muffet. Her stepfather, Dr. Muffet (1553-1604) was a famous entomologist who wrote the first scientific catalogue of British Insects. Whilst eating her breakfast of curds and whey Little Miss Muffet was frightened by one of his spiders and ran away! This particular Nursery Rhyme of Little Miss Muffet reputedly dates back to the 16th century as indicated by the birth date of Dr. Muffet!"

In my quest to find a little information about this rhyme, I came upon this artist's rendering by Scott Gustafson of Little Miss Muffet. I think the picture is especially fetching because there is a little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog, just like my Lily, sitting next to Miss Muffet! I love it.





PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR SPIDERS,
ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A GARDENER.

1 comment:

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014