web analytics

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Look What Happened

- - - On the 4th of July afternoon when I was going from my dining room into the garage. The garage is a "step down" from the dining room and I caught the right toe of my shoe on the door thresh-hold.  When I landed on the floor in the garage my right foot was still on the level of the dining room. I had to pick up my right foot gently to move it to the same level I was sitting on the floor of the garage. PAINFUL - VERY!

Then I crawled on my knees to the freezer drawer (bottom of refrigerator) to get an ice pack. Next, I crawled down the hallway to the bedroom to get an Ace Bandage. After crawling to the living room sofa, I sat down - elevated my leg - applied the ice pack and stabilized it by wrapping my ankle and lower leg with the Ace Bandage. Then I took a DEEP BREATH and gathered my thoughts, like "What just happened to me?" Next, I had to crawl to get the telephone. I called my friend and said "I think I broke my leg and have to go to the ER"! X-rays were taken and yes, I fractured the fibula (smallest of the two bones) of my right lower leg. They applied a splint, gave me crutches and sent me on my way with orders to avoid any weight bearing with my right foot and to contact the Orthopedic Surgeon on Monday.


REMARKABLY, I had and currently have very little pain following the actual PAINFUL event. I am SO BLESSED! Perhaps, getting the ice applied so quickly helped control swelling and helped with pain level. I was scheduled to see the Ortho on Friday. This is what it looked like when the splint was removed on Friday.


A cast (PURPLE) was applied and next appointment is in four weeks. And, no weight bearing during the four weeks. Needless to say, all of this is very exhausting and their is some discomfort when trying to attend to necessary activities of living!
  
Since crutches were not liked by my 74 years old arm muscles and a wheelchair is very difficult to deal with I asked about  a knee scooter. Wow, is that a "God Send"! More about the scooter later, maybe.



That's all for this time. My energy level is quite low. Hope to write more in near future.

Wishing Beautiful Enjoyable summer days to all of you.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014