web analytics

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Vintage Souffle Bakeware And Local Cheesemonger


Out in the garage I came across this lovely Souffle Bowl. No, I haven't started cleaning the garage. Probably after Easter time. This was going to go in a sale, but most likely not since I am really in the groove of cooking. I remember buying this when I made my first souffle, probably in the late 60's. A nice explanation of a souffle is from My Mothers Apron Strings website. She tells us that the word souffle is French and means to "blow up" or "puff up" which it does by whipping the egg whites separately from the yolks to a stiff meringue, then folded in gently.

Anyway, a Cheese Souffle is on my Easter Ham menu. And, I am giving myself license to drift outside my budget for the holiday. So, I walked downtown to Main street to visit the Lavender Ridge Cheese Market.

Murphys is a special little place that has many very talented and impressive citizens. Yes, we are fortunate to have our very own cheesemonger. Judy Creighton, is a Certified Cheese Professional, cheese educator and consultant who has owned two San Francisco cheese shops and has served as a judge at American Cheese Society. She is Cheese Program Director at Lavender Ridge Vineyard in the Sierra Foothills, and currently serves on the board of the California Artisan Cheese Guild, is guest lecturer at School of Restaurant Hospitality, City College of San Francisco, and Cheese School of San Francisco. What an impressive portfolio!


I am going to use Gruyere De Comte cheese this time. In the past (long time ago) I always used sharp Cheddar Cheese because that is what my Betty Crocker's cook book recipe said to do.


Wish me luck with my souffle. One must pay close attention when making one and "my oven" doesn't always behave nicely. It should go very well since I am now very relaxed in my kitchen and I'm not being instructed how I should do everything! Life is good and I am loving it. ;>)

I am off to my "Knitters and Hookers" group today. 

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are so lovely and artistic. I might change my Easter menu and make a souffle instead of scalloped potatoes.
    I am praying it will be a perfect day for you and your precious family.
    Love, Viv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita said....I love your sweet soufflé dish. Good luck with that tricky oven. Share photos!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014