web analytics

Friday, April 04, 2014

Lunch For One And Budget Progress

This is a healthy, quick and tasty soup. With our current weather of rains every few days it just feels right to prepare some soup now and then.  It was especially nice that I had all of the ingredients in the pantry/refrigerator when I read the recipe while perusing  a stack of pages of copied recipes. I do not think I have ever made soup with canned tuna. Be sure, to use the best quality of solid tuna you can. I have been using more cannellini beans than in the past and I am liking them in soups, especially. The seasonings are a nice combination and the kale flavor is very subtle.

 TUNA, WHITE BEAN AND KALE SOUP  

(website image)
And, this is how it really looks. 
The importance of proper lighting when taking photos.


My Lunch For One posts are starting to look like Tablescapes that have become so popular on blog land. 


I think these dishes are so pretty. They are called Clematis by Red Vanilla. I have only soup bowls with base plates and salad plates. I can mix them nicely with my every day Mikasa Mixima (super strong) china Belle Terre.


Can you see the Bunny napkin ring?

 TUNA, WHITE BEAN AND KALE SOUP  

from www.closetcooking.com 

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna, drained and broken into bite sized chunks
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 bunch kale, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
  3. Add the broth, beans, tuna, Italian seasoning, fennel and paprika, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Add the kale and simmer until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add the parmesan, let it melt and season with salt and pepper to taste before removing from heat.

Option: Replace the kale with spinach, swiss chard, etc.
Option: Add a dash or 2 of fish sauce!
Note: You can replace the Italian seasoning with 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon thyme.
Tip: Try not to over-stir so that the tuna does not break apart and you still have nice large chunks.

This is really good soup. I hope you will try it. Let me know how you like it.


Meet Mr Owl Budget

I am finding more ways to enhance my budget. 

Lily is due for a vaccine booster at the Veterinary Office. I can take her to the vaccine clinic (held once a month and less expensive) since she has seen the Vet during this past year. 

* I have found a better quality dog food for Lily for less money.

I discontinued taking daily multivitamins since there is controversy regarding benefit if you have a healthy diet including fruits and vegetables. And, normal blood chemistry, which I do regarding multivitamin ingredients.

* Working diligently (very time consuming) to locate lowest co-pay for what are very expensive medications even though they are generic. Your doctor has to be willing to work with you because there are so many different pharmacy plans. And, so many medications with similar content for the same condition but wide range of prices. Many times it is trial and error. But, remember you usually have to buy at least one month supply. My nursing background certainly is helpful with this activity.

Because my monthly available income is reduced it is necessary for me to take these actions for my day to day existence. Most definitely necessary since the price of most everything is continually increasing. If there is vacation money, that will be a bonus. After all I will only have one 75th Birthday!  

I managed to pay my Property Taxes and my Federal and California taxes have been filed. All my bills are paid and it is such a good feeling. I am really making progress in getting organized! It really makes me nervous when I am not on top of it. It is not in my character.

Be Good To Yourself. OK.       Maybe, make some homemade soup!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014