web analytics

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Traveling Back In Time - Especially Military - Cooking

As I have mentioned in a recent post, I am using what is on the shelf in the pantry or in the refrigerator as much as possible in an effort to stretch my budget and to avoid throwing food out. I have been wanting to use the jar of Armor Dried Beef and was thinking of possibly making Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast which occasionally I ate as a child. It was very economical. If you are "old enough" and were around men that had been in the military, you may recall hearing it called SOS which is something that was served quite frequently in the mess hall at the military bases. I recall hearing my brothers who all served in the Army talking about it and laughing about the name "_____ On A Shingle" but not in my mother's presence. It was a meal that got mixed reviews. Some fellows who served in the Armed Forces liked it a lot and some never wanted to lay eyes on it or eat it again if they could avoid it!


Actually, there are quite a few recipes where you can use sliced dried beef. The only other recipe that I was aware of is Appetizer Cheese Ball that is either rolled in chopped dried beef or added into the cheese ball mixture.

The Garden Forum website has some interesting info about dried beef. In some communities (i.e. ranching/farming) it is available sliced fresh at the deli. The Armor website also has recipes and information.

OK, I ended up making a White Sauce and then I added a goodly amount of prepared horseradish which I have not done in the past. Then I mixed in the beef  which can be sauteed in a little butter to soften it. I just learned about the sauteing on the websites. I had about one cup of frozen carrots and peas in the freezer. So, I tossed them in and simmered until the veggies were defrosted and everything was well heated. Add salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste and serve over toast.


It was good, not fabulous, but good. I like it best with white bread toast like potato bread. Homemade biscuits would be good, too. Like biscuits and sausage gravy.

Today, I am off to see the Ophthalmologist for my eye exam. I am almost a year overdue and I need new glasses and I have been having sharp left eye pain! Life was so hectic that I got behind in all of my routine medical appointments. I am getting caught up and I have been poked, squeezed (it always hurts!) stuck with needles and looked at all over. I still need to schedule an appointment with the Dentist.

Take Good Care of Yourself.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014