web analytics

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

You Either Like Them Or You REALLY DON'T

There doesn't seem to be any "middle of the road" on this subject. My excitement over my Fig tree is not shared by all those about me. I have been nurturing my fig tree for a few years now. I purchased it in a one gallon container and look how large it has grown. I am hoping this year will be the year that I will at least have a few figs for hand eating. If I get more, all the better. Our super hot weather has been helping the fruit to ripen.


According to my local newspaper this week, "Figs are one of the oldest domesticated fruits, predating wheat and other grains by more than 1,000 years. Native to western Asia and the Middle East, figs have figured prominently as a food staple since ancient times."


And, I did not know that figs generally produce two crops a year. The first crop sprouts on last year's wood. And the fig tree's new growth produces an even larger crop of fruit. Thus, they can produce from about June into the fall. I can only hope for just a few and that would make me happy.


I have been watching the Blue Jays carefully! I don't know if figs are on their favorite list of appetizers or not! But, I would not be surprised. It seems like I have seen quite a few more Jays lately around my fig tree.



If I say so myself, these figs are looking mighty fine. Don't you think?

I have become a little impatient with my limitations with my mobility. I want to be able to do more in the kitchen, cooking and maybe baking a fig tart, and the garden is calling loudly! And, let's not even talk about how my house is looking. Where's the Cleaning Lady when you need them? 

Next Tuesday, I finally get to see the Physical Therapist for my first evaluation. That was the first appointment I have been able to get because all of the offices in this area are booked with patients until then.

I hope you are enjoying the Summer Days.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014