web analytics

Monday, August 25, 2014

The Birds Did Not Get Them

I think these Brown Turkey Figs are beautiful! At least there are a couple of things in my garden that I can get excited about these days. It has been so difficult to watch my garden go "down hill", so to speak. For two months I have had to discipline myself and resist trying to do my usual gardening. It has made me realize how important my outdoor activity is for me. In so many ways it is simply stated as "my therapy".


The figs are quite small and there are only about 20 of them at the most. However, they are ripening nicely and are very sweet tasting. Since they are on the small side I probably will not be able to do any interesting baking with them. But, I know I will enjoy hand eating every last one of them.

I remember as a small girl eating figs from a neighbor girls tree in their yard. And, for some reason it was such a treat and I have enjoyed them ever since that time. I guess the fact that I can grow them in my own garden makes it a little more special! Kind of like growing your own tomatoes, zucchini and other vegetables that I like to eat. Unfortunately, my raised vegetable planter box stayed empty this year. Just as well because I would not have been able to give it the care it would have needed.


Look at the pretty strawberry-colored flesh in that purplish-brown colored fig skin! I think it makes a nice picture especially with the contrast of colors. I thought the garden sculpture of the bird would go nicely with the figs! I never said I would NOT share my figs - now did I?

The Theodore Haviland china pattern is Touraine. The dishes belonged to my mother and I have a complete set of eight place settings along with serving pieces, all in excellent condition. They are my favorite dishes and they reside in my china cabinet so I can continually enjoy seeing them.


I will leave you with a bright and pretty spot from my patio. It is a lone Yellow Gerbera Daisy that sits among several other pots of daisies that have struggled to stay alive do to lack of TLC. I am thankful for all the bright colors of nature.

Hug Someone Today.

Mary


2 comments:

  1. Those figs look delicious to me. I admired your Gerber Daisy. I had 2 pots full of them all summer long, but now that the really hot weather has come to San Diego both pots are starting to look a little bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I get figs too! My fav pair of Cardinals seem to enjoy mine too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014