web analytics

Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Love Planning Road Trips

It won't be long before we will be jumping in the vehicle and heading north for five days of vacation. Road travel will be very comfortable for my back (I have a bad one!) and nice for us both because we will be driving a SRX Crossover! It is not a car, not a SUV, but a crossover which offers the best of both worlds. It is made by Cadillac and it is the 2006 model. I had NO idea what a Crossover was before meeting MSM.

We plan to stay in Ashland, OR the first night. After kicking around the area we will head up to Roseburg and then east for about 38 miles on Highway 138 along the North Umpqua River to the area called Steamboat. I visited the  Steamboat Inn in 1989 when I took a road trip alone with my little Yorkshire Terrier Puppy , Pixie and  my Tabby Kitten, Puff to visit my oldest brother in Portland. I do not recall exactly how I heard about Steamboat Inn but I do know that I bought this great history/cookbook in the store at the Inn.




I loved the Inn and the surrounding area with the river and gardens. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would be returning to Steamboat and spending a night in one of their cabins and also attending their Fisherman's Dinner where the guests gather around a long sugar pine table which was hewn from large logs in the 1930's.

The North Umpqua River has been fished by fly anglers for more than half a century. Perhaps, the most famous fisherman to fish these waters  is Zane Grey, who started fishing for salmon and steel head trout in the late 1920's.  Many fishing camps were set up along the banks of the river. The whole area is rich with history about fly fishing.

This visit will be of special interest to my MSM because he has enjoyed active membership in the local Fly Fisher's Club for years. He had never heard of Steamboat Inn but some of his fishing buddies have.

I have always been an adventurous person wanting to know what is around the next bend and over the next hill. So, in the past, I often found myself in some interesting locations when taking a little road trip to the California Coast wineries or wherever I could go for a few days.

Following our visit to Steamboat, we will drive to the Oregon coast and travel north stopping when the mood hits us. No special plans have been made about how far or where to find lodging.  It will be simply spontaneous travel for a couple days until we return home via Redding where we will visit the Sundial Bridge Turtle Bay Exploration park.  From what little I know about the bridge and surrounding area it is a sight not to be missed.


We expect this little trip to be VERY enjoyable since we have resolved many issues that rose their ugly heads during our trip to Germany. Our relationship and love for one another is stronger than ever! And, we feel so blessed to have one another in our lives. 

I hope you have a day filled with LOVE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014