web analytics

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bittersweet Day


One more Social Event before leaving town.  I am preparing a good old standby recipe for Bean Salad to take to the picnic. It doesn't get much easier. And, easy is what I need at this time.

For the second year the picnic is being held at a beautiful lake north of here. The church service will be held outdoors with lots of good worship and music followed with more music, fun and food. 



Last year was the first time I attended the annual picnic and I went alone.  It will be so nice to attend as a couple. However, the day will be bittersweet for me this year. After the picnic the pastor that has been with us for the past three years will be leaving with his wife to return to the area that they lived prior to coming to serve our church. They are returning to "the city" where they are more comfortable. Employment opportunities for his wife have been dismal in this area. She has secured an excellent position in the school where she previously taught. 

We will miss him terribly. One of the reasons for our sadness is that he is the person that My Special Man contacted (after first asking me) to guide and assist us in our difficulties following our trip to Germany. "There are many people who come and go in our lives. A few touch us in ways that change us forever, making us better from knowing them." And, He certainly fits in that category for us.

The charming little church that we attend is almost across the street from where I live. It was founded in 1868.  But, of course it has been enlarged and updated through the years. It is such a nice church and the people are great.

You see, this church is the first church I have been a member of in my adult life. Six years ago, I decided to become a member after attending occasionally through the years that I have lived here. This little church is where I met My Special Man. It so happens that we each moved to this area about 18 years ago after living in the San Francisco Bay area for many years. His wife passed away two years ago following a long illness with Alzheimer's Disease. And, it seems as though I had been single forever - but not quite.  We did not know each other prior to the beginning of this year, other than the fact that I knew he had been singing in the choir for years.




It is time for me to get out the door and be ready to drive to the lake.


I hope you are having a Wonderful Weekend.


P.S. The Lake, Service and Day was wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary
    What a delightful blog you have and I've had a wonderful visit.
    I bet your bean salad was delicious with all those ingredients...it looks so delish.

    What a lovely story of your Special Man and you.. :o) So sweet. I can imagine how sad it would be for you to have your pastor leave the church...he certainly would mean so much...so much has happened.

    I hope you had a good day and a lovely time....I hope you'll also be back for another visit...

    I'm going to become a Follower..
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Your church looks beautiful and the lake service sounds wonderful. And I have to say, the brownie sundae made my mouth water. Yum. Have a great trip to Oregon. I just love Oregon and if all my family didn't live here, we might just be living there ourselves. Hubs loves it too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014