web analytics

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

When The Lights Go Out


Start knitting, of course!

Last night we had a storm with a capitol S. We certainly need the rain but this was a very powerful storm. About 3:30 PM yesterday afternoon the phone line and internet went out. And not long after, the lights went out. It is different in the mountains when all of these sources of power make an exit. It is very, very, very black once the night comes. You literally cannot see your hand in front of your face. And it is as quiet as quiet can be other than when the rain is falling and the wind is blowing.
It was time to light some candles and my favorite kerosene lamp. The lamp is so pretty with its 15 inch tall glass chimney. I don't use it often, but I am so thankful to have it when we have one of these storms. It really gives a lot of light. Enough light so I could knit. There really isn't very much that you can do when you live alone with your dog and the lights go out! However, I got a lot of knitting accomplished on the prayer shawl.

With all of the many "big an' tall" trees on my property, there was a lot of swaying going on around here. The wind brings down a lot (I wish all) leaves, branches and "dead wood" from the trees. The day before the storm I spent the day preparing for the "big storm" by cleaning up about six large trash barrels of fallen autumn leaves and the garden  looked so nice and clean. Not so, anymore. It is a mess!


Good and faithful Pumpkin was steadfast in his duties. To tell the truth if the electrical cord had not been anchoring him, he would have been long gone to who knows where, maybe to the rapidly flowing creek which I could watch from my window.


The power sources can back on about 2:30 AM this morning . It was certainly nice to be able to prepare fresh coffee this morning.  And, most importantly, I am thankful that I did not have any big damage from falling trees or large limbs.

I hope you are nice and warm and safe.

~Mary~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014