web analytics

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Where Should I Start

The last few days are days that I would NOT like to repeat. Several medical appointments with my friend have been almost daily. He has been seen by the Gastroenterologist, Cardiologist, his G.P. and Hematologist. He is dealing with some very serious issues. He is very weak, not sleeping, no appetite, very low blood pressure and shortness of breath. He  is anemic and is suffering from a shortage of all types of blood cells, red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Blood test for hemoglobin should be in normal range around 13.  He was in the hospital Novenber 1st for 4 days at which time his blood count was 7. He was given two blood transfusions and the count came up to 8.1. Yesterday his blood count was 6.6. At 6PM he got a call from the GP and he referred him to the Hospital Emergency Room (45 minute drive) for more blood transfusions. We got to the hospital at 7PM. They were very busy with a lot of patients waiting. He was taken in immediately because of his serious condition. The transfusion wasn't started until sometime after 11PM. It takes a long time to prep the blood. And then they decided to give a second transfusion. The hospital care has been great! By the time we got back it was 4AM, yes 4AM this morning!.

They would have admitted him to the hospital but an appointment was scheduled for today with the Hematologist and if he was an inpatient the appointment would have to be rescheduled. So, today we were back at the hospital again for the appointment by noon. The fact that they do not have a diagnosis makes it next to impossible to have a treatment plan. A bone biopsy (which is quite painful) was recommended and I encouraged him (told him) to have it today (before he could think much about it) and he did. My nursing background has been extremely helpful for which I am thankful.

By this afternoon, his son arrived (3 hour drive) and my friend was admitted to the nearby Retirement Center where he can receive nursing care and not be at home alone, even though that is where he has wanted to be. His son and I have been working on the arrangements so it would only take a phone call and they were ready for him to be admitted in 2 hours. His son is staying in town. It is GOOD.

Along with all of this, for the past week my phone has been in and out of service. I finally borrowed a cell phone because I do not have one - to much money in this area with few cell towers. I was on the phone with Comcast yesterday and again for a half hour at 4:30AM this morning. The problem seems to be with the under house telephone line. There is more about this very annoying problem. But that is it for now.

She just lost Peoria!



And then, my printer jammed with paper tonight and it was a major repair job for me to figure out. But, I did it!



I hope you are All Doing Well.

It's time for me to get some sleep.

Mary


2 comments:

  1. It is a good thing that your friend is now in a place where he can be observed and taken care of 24 hours a day. I hope for all of your sakes' he will thrive at Retirement Center. I have you, friend, and your families in my thoughts daily. Please be sure to remember to take good care of yourself as you care for the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your good thoughts and concern.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014