web analytics

Friday, October 01, 2010

And I Thought My Roses Finished Blooming - - - And EMG

 

Recently we have had a warming spell which has brought my roses back to vibrant life and joyful viewing.  The rose bushes don't look too swift but they have started again to produce some very nice blooms.

This is a hybrid tea rose, named Ronald Reagan. When I purchased the rose I was drawn to the red flower that unfolds with a crisp white reverse. It really is quite stunning in reality! The light sweet fragrance is a nice added bonus.

During this past couple weeks I have been able to channel my emotional trauma into some very energetic physical maintenance projects around my home. I have cleaned cupboards in the house and garage, cleaned the electrostatic furnace/air conditioner filter, extended the PVC outdoor watering system, sorted through many boxes that have been sitting in the garage since I moved here, thoroughly cleaned the car inside and out,  cleaned the air conditioner compressor compartment (say that three times) of accumulated leaves and dirt from the last few years and also the fins - the cooling fins- on the outside of the unit, repaired the hinges on the back door, extended a soaker hose to cover more planting area, adjusted the motion sensor light on the front patio, installed an under cabinet light strip above the washing machine, replaced the burned out front porch light bulb, installed a power strip in the garage and cleaned off more leaves on the roof of the house. Wow, that list makes me tired just to type it.

Needless to say, I was tired enough at night to fall asleep and really sleep. There are more things on my To-Do list and I will keep working on it. It really feels good to get these necessary tasks completed. I have never had enough money to pay someone to do these things for me. So, I have learned through the years that with the help of the Internet, I can figure out just about anything. The learning curve has been so extensive over time that sometimes I even amaze myself. And, if I have no choice and have to call a service person, at least I have some knowledge about what they might be talking about. My tenacious personality about never having to give up my house until I am ready has been a strong force in learning all of this.

Yes, I have a high pain tolerance but my right arm, hand and wrist are continuing to be a problem. However, if I stay away from the computer, for some reason, it is less painful.

Last Thursday, I had the EMG / NCS and for some reason the pain from all the nerve and muscle testing was horrible for me. The electrical current was the most painful. The insertion of the pin electrodes was insignificant. But, of course, the anticipation of what was coming next didn't help me to relax. I worked very hard to use my relaxation/meditation techniques but just about the time I was feeling calm, the doctor would say "ok, here it comes" or "tighten your muscle". And, then my mind aborted any thoughts of relaxation.

 "For the Nerve Conduction Study electrodes are placed on the skin over the nerve to be studied. These electrodes act as microphones to pick up any electrical signal that goes by them. An electrical stimulator is then placed on the skin near the electrodes and is used to create an electrical current strong enough to fully stimulate the nerve. A computer is used to record responses as various nerves are tested. This allows the physician to measure and calculate how fast the nerve is sending the impulses to the muscle and measure the size of the impulse."

"For the Electromyogram the muscles are assessed by inserting a pin electrode into the muscle and then the computer  records the muscle response both at rest and with movement. The sensation is similar to that of being stuck by a pin as the electrode is inserted into the muscle." The last electrode was placed in my neck to evaluate if the problem is related to my cervical spine disability.

Now, I have had this test in the past on my legs following my back injury because my left leg had nerve compression and my foot flopped (foot drop). Well, any of you that have had this procedure know that this is no picnic. The insertion of the pins is not a problem for me in the least bit.  But, the electrical current brings me to tears. Years ago it was some of the worst pain I have ever had and it was no different this time. The only difference is that this time I had an excellent, compassionate doctor performing the test. 
 
From what I have read about experiences of other people who have had these tests, it seems as though I have more difficulty with the pain/discomfort of these tests. And, I don't know why. However, I do know that when the doctor checks my reflexes with the little mallet on my knees during a routine exam, my responses are very brisk and the doctors always comment. By the end of an hour, I was in tears. I know that I am somewhat emotionally fragile at this time. However, years ago I had a similar experience. I never want to have another EMG/NCS!
 
And, the results - - - did not explain my symptoms.
 
Tomorrow is another day. But, for now, I am going to go sit and rest  my arm in my lap!
 
I hope you are having a Fabulous Weekend.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014