web analytics

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Superb Home Cooking

The weather is so perfect for Crockpot cooking. So that is what I did yesterday. I saw some great looking beef short ribs in the meat counter and I knew I had to make them for dinner. Wow, did I ever hit a home run with this recipe from Allrecipes.com. When I saw that it had great reviews and that 13,000 (Yes,that is correct. I did not add an extra 0) plus people have viewed and saved this recipe I knew I had to prepare it. As some of the reviews suggested I doubled the sauce ingredients and that was a good idea! 

Slow-Cooked German Short Ribs

Servings: 6
"Beef short ribs and onions slow cooked in a spicy red wine sauce. Goes great over wide egg noodles."

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds beef short ribs 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chili sauce
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water


Directions:

1. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flour, salt, and pepper. Coat the short ribs with the flour mixture.

2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs in olive oil.

3. In a slow cooker, combine onions, wine, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and chili powder. Mix thoroughly. Transfer the short ribs from the skillet to the slow cooker.

4. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

5. Remove ribs, and turn the slow cooker control to High. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup water, and stir into the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Also, I used one package frozen boiling petite whole onions instead of the sliced onions. They were nicely caramelized and tasted great. I also made carrots and boiled potatoes which were especially delicious with the sauce that I reduced down to a silky smooth glazing sauce. I did not add the thickening flour.

This is a winner that will surely be added to a new recipe box of OUR favorites!

It is clear to me that I do not have as much time to post on my blog as often as I would like to. But, I will continue and try to post at least once a week. I will see how that goes. I continue to enjoy all of the blogs that I follow even though I am not able to check-in as often as I would like.

Wishing you a Fabulous Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014