web analytics

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Brining Last Nights Dinner And Some Bourbon

Those pork chops are brining in fresh apple cider (in season now), kosher salt, crushed juniper berries, bay leaf and ice water. I have brined a holiday turkey years ago (when that technique became popular) with good results but never have I brined pork. Just as with turkey, the brining creates a more tender and flavorful meat. But, I must say the sauce for these chops has outstanding flavor.


I read this interesting recipe on Olla-Podrida blog. She has a fabulous food blog. And, the photography is outstanding. Check this recipe out from HER BLOG. I had to change up the recipe because I did not have the same ingredients handy. I substituted the allspice berries with juniper berries. And, I used beef broth in place of the chicken. It worked out fine. 

And, since I was making only two pork chops (they were huge) I made only half of the Bourbon Sauce recipe. Next time I will make the full recipe. It is just that good. I used a cast iron skillet because it goes into the oven for ten minutes after the chops are browned. 


The sauce is made after you take it from the oven after you place the chops on a warm platter.Be sure to deglaze the pan with the bourbon and broth and reduce the sauce as the recipe directs. It's easy. Just be patient.



When finished you will have a wonderful flavorful dinner entre. You must try it. SO EASY AND SO GOOD!


Thanks to Olla-Podrida for this wonderful recipe. It helped me to get back in the cooking mode.

Happy Eating.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014