web analytics

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Fish Out Of Water Tablescape

How nice of Ms. Fish and her babies to come out to play with me. I really adore her attitude and the whimsy that she brings to our table. As the weather is quickly changing to a new season she thought she better pop in before is gets to cold.


Tablescaping stirs many thoughts for me. The creativity that one can put into this activity is endless. The presentation can be "High End" put together with luxury items that may be readily available from ones own china cabinets and cupboards or in some cases - "hiding places". Thrift shopping can be a part of it or not.


For me the little journey of creating a one of a kind little showpiece was grounded in putting together a tablescape that was pretty to look at and one that draws your eye to all the little hidden nuances of the presentation. The focal point of this table quickly became the Blue and White Fish (Art by Diane) that I saw on Ebay for $4.99 (with low shipping). What a find! And, then one thing led to another and I was "on the hunt".

I do not live close to any of the stores that are common place for home items that you find in the cities, so my shopping options are limited. However, I do have several thrift stores and a Dollar Store nearby. Actually, the thrift stores are turning out to be a thrill of the hunt. They are quite good. A half hour drive will take me to a TJ Max, Ross, JoAnn Craft Store and another Dollar Store. Many great items can be found on Ebay but I really resist paying shipping charges. That's just my thing. Least I forget, there are many treasures to be found in my little (over-stuffed, did I really say that) house!

Now, let's look a little closer at our Blue and White tablescape. These sweet little fish (salt and pepper shakers) complete the family of Ms. Fish!




This is so much fun for me. I have always loved dishes. As a very little girl, I can remember having an old cardboard box that housed my dishes that were old and chipped and maybe crackled. My box of dishes was kept in a special spot in the back yard where nobody could disturb it. I would set a table and play house. I was always excited when I could add a new piece (chips and all) to my collection.


The fish shaped Studio Nova clear glass bowls are what I am using for our soup, perhaps Gin Tomato Soup with Pepperidge Farm gold fish on top as garnish.


Dinner and Salad plates are Ralph Lauren, pattern Mandarin Blue recently purchased from TJ Max. I love the simplicity of the dinner plate and the excitement of the salad plate.


Perhaps, the menu will include a Ranch BLT Wedge Salad and Asian Marinated Grilled Shrimp over Coconut Rice.


These Napking Rings from Ebay are quite interesting. I have never seen any like them, specifically the size which is larger than any I have seen. They measure 2-5/8 wide, 1-3/4 high and 1 inch deep. And look at the lovely inside design. They are made in Czechoslovakia with the familiar Blue Onion design. Pretty!





What should we have for dessert?


Please join me for a little Liquid Refreshment!

Since I first noticed Tablescaping on the Blogs, I have been amazed at the popularity of this creative endeavor. It seems to me that there are hundreds of beautiful table settings. Just think about all the vintage, lovely, beautiful and spectacular dishes that are being purchased by all these ladies across the world! Amazing!

Occasionally, I would like to put together a Tablescape for the pure joy of the creative process and not for extreme retail therapy. You know, I love a bargin.

When I create my next Tablescape, maybe next month, it will be in recognition of my friend who makes my life a happier place! I have ideas!

Take Care of your Friends.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and they mean so much to me. Blessings to you.

.

Some Additional Special Photos

.

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Family (2014)

Happy Family (2014)
Grandma Pride

Valentine's Day 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

High School (1957) Friends Of Mine On The Left Live In New York and We Met In Canada In 2011

Bud Mietz

Bud Mietz
1928 - 2014